tastes like a super sweet, somewhat tart cousin of citrus.
RIPE? You will know it is time to harvest when fruits are plump, have a slight give, and are fully colored. In the yellow forms, the color is deeply golden and the purple fruits will be nearly black.
- Slightly wrinkled fruits are super ripe and will have a sweeter taste than the smooth skinned passion fruit.
- To eat a passion fruit raw, cut it in half and use a spoon to remove the pulp from the rind.
- The rind is not edible.
- People can eat both the seeds and the pulp, or just the pulp.
- One fruit (18 grams) contains just 17 calories and is a rich source of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin A, iron, and potassium ( 1 ).
- For weight loss, passion fruit is best consumed whole. It can be eaten alone, used as a topping or filling for desserts, or added to drinks.